"But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him..." - Psalm 103:17 Thanks for looking into who we are and what we love doing.
We are full-time staff with Military Ministry, now Cru Military. In 1998 we began initiating ministry at Fort Jackson, SC as ministry directors until 2008. There we developed and lead a large team of volunteers in evangelizing and discipling soldiers in the "basics" of a journey with Christ Jesus. Much of that ministry occurred in Sunday morning Bible studies for Basic Trainees. Those volunteers served the chaplains in nine separate battalion areas - ministering, on average, to over 5000 young soldiers each year.
We are now assigned to Fort Leonard Wood, MO working to build a similar ministry with the young trainees. The structure for the trainees' Sunday services changed during the summer of 2011 and we were asked to begin four new Bible studies. In addition, we are developing discipleship opportunities with international soldiers who are in training for a brief time. We lead military marriage enrichment training and offer support to military families struggling with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as well as those affected by Traumatic Brain Injury.
Bill has been on staff with Cru Military for twenty-five years. He met Lisa at the end of his first ministry assignment, in San Antonio, TX, where they were married. Lisa, knowing the Lord was leading her to full-time ministry, applied for field staff and has been with Cru Military for twenty years.
Lisa is challenged in her ministry: as a mother and shaper of their red-headed whirlwind, Don Paul (15 years old); discipling women one-on-one; assisting with Bible studies for soldiers-in-training, and in her service to the Protestant Women of the Chapel (PWOC), an international Bible Study group for military women. She has served in many positions on their local and regional leadership boards.
Bill is challenged with
- vision-casting to those whom the Lord would use to fulfill the following needs: financial, laborer, and prayer
- clarified vision for initiating ministry at Fort Leonard Wood, MO
- responsibilities in the Army Reserves (from which he completed a one-year mobilization) as Senior Chaplain Assistant
- initiating ministry wherever possible within the military community
We have been remodeling an old country grocery store into a home (very tedious and time consuming!). Once complete, the building will become a center for discipleship and Bible study.
The struggling economy has greatly affected ministry finances. A significant amount of support must be raised to cover the sharp decline in donations and increased expenses. Financial support will cover ministry expenses, salary, and health insurance.
For prayer requests, see our above challenges. Tidbits - greatest joys are:
- About 20-plus beloved friends, former military trainees, fruit of the Bennetts previous years efforts, maintain contact with the Bennetts, sharing their journeys with Christ, doing the work of evangelism and discipleship.
- Watching soldiers and their families experience new life in Christ Jesus.
- Watching Don Paul grow and change before our eyes, and the way we, as a family, grow and change with him.
- Discipling well-seasoned churchgoers and seeing the transforming work of the Holy Spirit, as they learn to walk by His power.
- The continued growth of the ministry at Fort Leonard Wood.
Again, we are honored to serve our Lord and our military with you.
Bill and Lisa Bennett