We are Bill and Lisa Bennett, full-time missionaries with Cru Military. I (Bill) have been on staff with Cru Military for 31 years and Lisa for 26 years. Thank you for looking into who we are and what we love doing.
We want to build movements throughout the global military community so that everyone knows someone who truly follows Jesus Christ.
What We Do
We aim, within the military community:
- to evangelize
- assurance of salvation
- how to walk in the Holy Spirit
- how to train others to do the same
Training service men and women, along with their spouses to be Spiritually Fit and Ready to Serve
How We Do It
As Cru Military, we lead weekly “Religious Education” classes to soldiers in Basic Training. "Religious Education” is separate from the worship service in the chapel, in the next building. They get to attend both, voluntarily—one after the other—on Sundays.
We teach basic Christian truths - giving them tools to use to help them get through their training and beyond. Our lessons include: Basic Bible navigation, the Gospel, identity of a Christian warrior, Spiritual Battle (Enemies and Strategies for defense), abiding in Christ, obedience, fellowship, prayer, the Great Commission, and how to share their testimony concisely. After 13 lessons, they graduate training and new soldiers replace them.
Some come to learn. Others come to get away from their drill sergeants for a bit. Either way, they get the Truth. One soldier said he’d always been atheist. He came to our classes only to escape the drill sergeants, not because he was “checking out Christianity.” He received Christ in our class and went on to describe how astonished he was to realize how much he needed Jesus. He has since been baptized in the chapel and wants to make the same difference in other soldiers' lives that was made in his through the Cru Military studies.
It's thrilling to hear soldiers talk about the impact Christ has made in their lives in such a short time!
In addition to our Sunday classes, we mentor/disciple current and future ministry leaders within the ranks of young officers, and military spouses, as well as facilitate trauma recovery groups (https://rebootrecovery.com/) both locally and virtually.
In 1993 I (Bill) began ministering with a team in San Antonio, TX at Lackland Air Force Base, Medina Annex, and Ft. Sam Houston. Our team initiated many ministry programs, many, like the Lackland Protestant Sunday School program which continues to this day.
The Lord was leading Lisa to full-time ministry when we met in San Antonio, TX. She applied to become a missionary with Cru Military and we married in 1997. Once she was accepted, we spent a year raising her initial ministry financial support before reporting to our next ministry assignment, Ft. Jackson, SC, in 1998.
We ministered at Ft. Jackson as Cru Military local directors until 2008. While there, we developed a large team of volunteers in evangelizing and discipling soldiers in the "basics" of a journey with Christ Jesus. It was a privilege to witness the Lord grow the ministry. Much of that ministry occurred in Saturday and Sunday morning Bible studies for Basic Trainees. Our team served the chaplains in nine separate battalion areas - ministering, on average, to well over 5000 young soldiers each year! Again, ministry has continued in that area also.
Now, we are assigned to Fort Leonard Wood, MO - with a similar ministry to the young trainees, as well as others in the military community. The structure for the trainees' Sunday services changed during the summer of 2011 and we were asked to begin four new Bible studies. Post-Pandemic, those studies were condensed to two, with no change in attendance. An average of 10,000 soldiers pass through this ministry each year!
In addition, we develop discipleship opportunities with military wives, families, and international soldiers who are in training for a brief time. Occasionally, we lead military marriage enrichment training and offer support to military families struggling with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Lisa in ministry:
- disciples women one-on-one
- trains small groups of women to assume leadership roles in ministry within the military
- manages a dynamic team of volunteers
- team-leads Bible studies for soldiers-in-training
- leads worship teams
- serves the Protestant Women of the Chapel (PWOC) - an international Bible Study ministry for military women. She has served in many positions over the years on their local and regional leadership boards. Recently Lisa completed her term as President and is now serving as Board-member Trainer/Advisor, while prayerfully searching for women to assume positions on the Board.
Bill in ministry:
- seeks the Lord’s vision for expanding discipleship ministry in the Fort Leonard Wood, MO area
- initiates ministry wherever possible within the military community
- mobilizes those with a heart for the military to join our teaching team for the Basic Training Bible studies (currently looking for 8)
- trains others in personal evangelism and discipleship
- raises the financial support needed to continue this ongoing ministry
Changes in the economy have greatly affected our ministry partners and thus, our ministry finances. A significant amount of support must be raised to cover the sharp decline in donations and increased expenses.
Currently, we must raise $4000 in additional monthly financial support.
Your gift covers:
- ministry expenses
- health insurance
And impacts …. THOUSANDS!
Our desire is to WIN, BUILD, and SEND Christ-centered multiplying disciples who launch spiritual movements in the global military community.
- About 20+ beloved friends (former military trainees and fruit of the Bennett's ministry) maintain contact - sharing their journeys with Christ and doing the work of evangelism/discipleship
- Discipling soldiers and their families and seeing the transforming work of the Holy Spirit, as they experience new life in Christ Jesus, and learn to walk by His power
- The continued growth of the ministry at Fort Leonard Wood
- Invigorated familial relationships
We are honored to serve our Lord and our military alongside us.
In His Service,
Bill and Lisa Bennett